The designation of Certified Code Enforcement Officer (CCEO) can be obtained in two ways: 1) by passing the exams for the Basic, Intermediate and Advanced levels; or 2) by passing the Academy modules for Basic, Intermediate and Advanced levels AND submitting to the CACEO office $60 per level. A combination of exam and Academy classes is also acceptable. The Basic and Intermediate levels may be obtained individually, however all three levels are required in order to achieve the CCEO designation.
Certification by Examination
Each level (Basic, Intermediate and Advanced) has a specific examination. The Basic examination has 100 questions concerning 14 subject areas. The Intermediate examination contains150 question concerning 16 subject areas. The Advanced examination contains 200 questions in 16 subject areas. Each examination is timed and is designed to test your knowledge of the subject areas. The examination process allows open book and open note. As is the case with any timed open-book exam, the time allotted for research is limited. A study guide titled the California Code Enforcement Sourceguide has been published. The study guide is available through LawTech Publishing (www.LawTechPublishing.com).
The Certification Exams are offered each year at the Annual Seminar. Additional exam sites will be offered as demand dictates. A minimum of three (3) examinees are necessary in order to schedule a certification exam. A passing score of eighty percent (80%) is required.
Certification Exam Fees: $150
To register for a Certification Exam, please contact the CACEO office at 916-492-CACE(2223).
Certification by Academy
CACEO also recognizes a group of code enforcement classes, called Academy classes, as being sufficient in establishing proof of the knowledge, skills and abilities required of a Certified Code Enforcement Officer. Upon successful completion of the Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Academy classes, members can submit proof of completion (a signed Certificate of Completion or college transcript) to the CACEO office along with $60 per module. Academy classes can be taken at one of the two institutions listed below. Please contact the colleges for information on class dates and prices.
- Southern California Academy - Santiago College, Orange
Santiago Canyon College
8045 E. Chapman Avenue
Orange, CA 92869
Basic: September 19 - 23, 2016
Intermediate: October 17 - 21, 2016
Advanced: November 28 - December 2, 2016
Registration and Contact info: Call Amy at 714-628-4883 or email Styffe_Amy@sccollege.edu
For the latest registration information please visit www.sccollege.edu/CEO.
- California Criminal Law and Evidence / Pc 832 Sourcebook (2009); LawTech Publishing, (www.LawTechPublishing.com)
- Mike Mangiaracina, Courtroom Testimony; Lawtech Publishing (www.LawTechPublishing.com)
- Carol Hawks & Jean Goodall, Crime Scene Documentation; Lawtech Publishing, (www.LawTechPublishing.com)
- Randal Davis, Evidence Collection & Presentation; Lawtech Publishing, (www.LawTechPublishing.com)
- Douglas Hansen, Redwood Kardon, Paddy Morrissey, Code Check Building For California; Taunton Publishing (www.CodeCheck.com)
- International Residential Code â€“Study Companion; International Code Council
- Cecily T. Talbert, California Land Planning and Planning Law; Solano Press
- International Property Maintenance Code 2006; International Code Council
- Uniform Housing Code 1997 edition; International Code Council
- California Code Enforcement Source Guide 2009 edition; CACEO
- Bickel, Branden E. and Sirkin, D. Andrew. The Condominium Bluebook 2000; Piedmont, CA, Piedmont Press, 2000.
- Merullo, Victor D. and Valentine, Michael J. Arboriculture and the Law; International Society of Arboriculture. IL, 1992.
- Council on Tree Appraisers. Guide for Plant Appraisal; International Society of Arboriculture, IL, 2000.
- Shigo, Alex L. Tree Pruning, A Worldwide Photo Guide; New Hampshire, 2003.
- Starrett, Paul, J.D. An Investigator's Guide to Interview and Interrogation for Investigations; California, 1998.
- Rutledge, Devallis, California Peace Officers' Legal Sourceguide 2008; Kardon,
- Kardon, Redwood; Casey, Michael; and Hansen, Douglas. Code Check West, A Field Guide to Building a Safe House; The Taunton Press, Inc. 2002.
- Steward, Marcia et al. 9th Edition of Every Landlord's Legal Guide; Nolo Press, 2009.